Tuesday 7 January 2014

"Postcards" from Old Tbilisi

It's somehow interesting to be a tourist in the city you grew up in... Today I had quite a touristy route in the old part of Tbilisi.. You can recognise the style - everything is refurbished and reconstructed, clean and tidy - on the surface...

I honestly wonder - Is this what the visitors "buy"? Is this what they are looking for when they book their journey to Georgia?! Perhaps some do... I personally, don't.

I couldn't completely avoid "promotional" images but I tried to take less of "postcards" and focused on something else, that I think is more interesting...

Being home these two weeks, I noticed a weird thing that I've never paid attention to before - there are so many "wish trees..." And the ribbons can be anything - tissues, used tissues, bits of fabric, plastic bags... Some go as creative as to tie their menstrual pad wraps on the trees. They must be really desperate for their dreams to come true...


Wish tree and "Mother of Kartli" on the background.

Another wish tree.

Kids are having cotton candies.

View from above.

Reconstructed.

Pink "Zhiguli" car.

Narikhala church entrance.

Carpet seller in old Tbilisi.

Gabriadze cafe. (Strongly recommend)

Homeless.

Window.





No comments: