Thursday 2 January 2014

A Day in Kakheti

It's early morning.. I'm sitting on a train on London Underground, going to work. A man in front of me is reading a book. Everybody reads books in London, so it's not an unusual thing at all but the book he is holding excites me quite a lot... It's titled: "Georgia." 

We get up together and I ask the man if he is going to Georgia... As expected, he said that, yes, he was planning to... 

- For work?
- No, for holidays! 

Wow... 

- Would you recommend? - he asked.

Oh yes! I would strongly recommend, as Georgia is a place to visit. Living far from here for over two years now, I appreciate it even more. But let me make it clear - it is a great place to VISIT. 

I went to Kakheti today. It's eastern Georgia. I've been there million times but have never observed it as carefully as I did today... It's got a great character... 

Parts of it were reconstructed recently, to attract more tourists (Y'know) but what I liked the most is actually untouched Kakheti, which still has its Kakhetian mood and looks much authentic than a little bit fakey clean and tidy one.

Gremi Monastery.


Reconstructed Telavi.




No comments: