Wednesday 5 February 2014

Jesus Died for Somebody's Sins But Not Mine

"Today marks very special day. It is the 100th birthday of William S. Burroughs... So tonight is the centennial William Burroughs' celebration... (A long pause) ...If anyone's unhappy with that.... uum... Fuck you!" - I saw Patti Smith live first time (and hopefully not last) in London today...

Last few weeks I've been reading, watching and listening to her a lot. I was getting ready. And, yes, I was expecting something extraordinary and it actually was beyond that...

How was it?! I really don't think I have enough words in my vocabulary to exactly describe my feelings, so if you really wonder, give me a call and I'm gonna try and express it in sounds... I felt emotional, (tears even) I felt powerful, I felt happy and sad... I felt inspired and I felt that "...Be grateful for your life.... The best fucking thing we have..." I went alone, which i shouldn't have done. At some point I so wanted to share my emotions I almost hugged an old couple sitting beside me. And towards the end when she sang Horses, I could finally stand up and move... I couldn't hold it inside anymore... So did the whole hall... "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine..." was the culmination...

Horses. Patti Smith and her son Jackson Smith. 




I waited for 40 minutes outside doors with few other people standing there with pens and papers. I had my book Just Kids and a pen prepared... After 40 minutes her son Jackson appeared in the doors and she followed right away but she apologised and said she was "very tired..." People said thanks yous, Someone gave her a letter, someone else shook her hand. And she walked away with her son...



- OMG, she shook my hand. I love you Patti....
She turned around one more time and waved at us...
- OMG, she knows I exist...!

Hand that was shook.

By the way, If you want to know why we celebrated William Burroughs birthday, read Just Kids.
By the way 2, she will be performing in Berlin this weekend and if anyone, who is in Berlin, reads this, please go there and get me a t-shirt!



No comments: